By Elsey Strube, RD, LD, Clinic Leader, Iowa Weight Loss Specialists
The internet seems to be advertising weight loss programs more than ever before. It is nearly impossible to scroll through a social media feed without seeing an ad for a weight loss program. From a friend touting their latest supplement to diet tea to some other “clinically proven method”, they all boast of helping individuals lose weight quickly.
If you have searched online for anything weight-related, you’ve likely been targeted through savvy marketing formulas that promise quick results. The latest online programs charge a monthly fee for one-on-one coaching and medications ordered by a provider via a virtual visit. They usually offer a money-back guarantee if you are not successful or happy with your results. While a money-back guarantee may seem like a great deal, is that something you want to chance when it comes to your health?
Why “Fad” Weight Loss Supplements & Programs Don’t Work
While all of the trendy health supplements and fad diets promise results, they often don’t deliver or do so with dangerous side effects. Some of the reasons that fad weight loss programs usually don’t deliver results include:
- No FDA Oversight: Dietary supplements do not require approval from the FDA. With so many different companies producing weight loss pills, false claims and negative side effects are common.
- Side Effects: There are countless side effects of diet pills that users experience, including increased risk of heart attack and stroke, headaches, mood swings, constipation, and more.
- False Claims: There has been a major surge in FDA and FTC action against sellers of weight loss pills for false claims and hidden ingredients. Most diet pills are just a combination of caffeine and other diuretics (often with a few hidden ingredients that can potentially cause serious damage). This results in water weight loss, not fat loss, which is not lasting.
- Non-Comprehensive Program: Effective weight loss combines mental health, physical health, and education. Taking diet pills, diet teas, or trying crash diets, is not a sustainable weight loss method. Adjusting your eating and exercise habits, building mental skills, and getting professional medical weight management assistance is the most effective way to lose weight and keep it off in a healthy manner.
- Program is Not Personalized: A weight loss program is not one size fits all. One person may benefit most from weight loss surgery, while another is not a candidate. Weight loss medications may be the answer for one person, but someone else would benefit more from nutrition education and a supportive community. Your weight loss program should take into account your physical and mental health, lifestyle, weight loss goals, and other personal factors.
Evidence-Based, Medically Proven Weight Loss Programs
Iowa Weight Loss Specialists offers several Iowa weight loss clinic locations to provide access to in-person, evidence-based, safe weight loss programs. Our multidisciplinary team addresses not only medical interventions but also your mental and physical health.
We understand the complexity of obesity as a disease and work with you to achieve improved health and well-being using an individualized approach. Most of our services are covered by insurance and include a variety of weight loss options including:
- Safe and effective weight loss medications and/or weight loss surgery.
- Support and advice from a medical provider, dietitians, behavioral health specialists, and other patients.
- Access to specialized tools including metabolic testing and advanced scales that analyzes body composition.
The team at Iowa Weight Loss Specialists will help you dial in your nutrition and eating habits without eliminating your favorite foods, find exercises you enjoy, effectively manage life stressors, and build confidence in your ability to adopt healthier habits.
Losing weight is the first step toward living a happier, healthier, and longer life. Don’t rely on fad diets and risky diet supplements, trust the professionals who will be there for you every step of your weight loss journey!