By Katherine Harrington, President & CEO, West Des Moines Chamber of Commerce
This is what we love about our city. We don’t pussyfoot around. We think big and just get it done. Kudos to Mayor Steve Gaer and key city, community, and business leaders who were instrumental in helping to build our city into the world class community it is today. Ranked #1 best place to live in Iowa and #37 best place to live in America by Money Magazine, it’s no wonder people have a passion for West Des Moines.
Can you feel the enthusiasm? It’s hard wired in everything we do. The sky is the limit, and we are just getting started. More than ever, the West Des Moines Chamber is excited to work closely with our community and businesses to support big thinking efforts and get them done. Positioning our city as the best place in America to thrive, vibe, and arrive is key to everything we do.
It has been 19 months since I have been involved in this exciting journey at the WDM Chamber. During this time, the expert chamber team has created countless new programs, events, outreach mechanisms, committees, and more to support our community and region at large. How can your organization tap into this enthusiasm, think big, and just get it done for 2022? Here is the mindset of the WDM Chamber that guides everything we do, and we hope it helps you:
- Don’t hesitate. Make a move and start now.
- Perfection is the enemy of good. Strive for progress, not perfection.
- Go big to make a difference. To make the biggest impact, go great.
- Partner with others. Involve others who have a passion for your project.
- Get outside or take a shower. Great ideas come when you least expect it.
- We are stronger together. Think of how you can give back and help others in the process.
- Gut instinct counts. Sometimes we don’t have all the answers. Trust what your gut says.
- Have a crystal-clear goal. Humans think in pictures. Help others visualize your objective.
- Momentum is key. Momentum is everything.
- Timing matters. What is a good idea today may not be tomorrow.
- Work hard. What you put into your project is directly correlated to what you get out of it.
- Be grateful. Recognize those who are instrumental in the process and give them the credit.
- Infuse positivity. Focus on what is right.
- Build diversity, equity, & inclusion. Collaborate with others who see the world differently from you for a stronger outcome.
- Let love lead the way. Make space for love in the process and watch powerful ideas develop.
What’s the best thing in West Des Moines? You. Our community is filled with the best people on the planet that go out of their way to help each other achieve shared goals. Happy Thanksgiving and holiday season everyone. I hope that 2022 exceeds all your expectations and you meet new lifelong friends along the way. #WDMstrong
PS: Thank you Kathryn Kunert for the inspiration in a recent Facebook post for the headline. We will be taking more photos of our community members at key locations in WDM for our 2022 ‘gamechanger’ campaign. Follow the WDM Chamber for more details on social media.